Monday 2 June 2008

Comings and Goings...


Hello Dad! – Yes, last week I was treated to a quick visit from my Dad. It was really great to see him, and even better to be able to show him around some of the places in Ulaanbaatar and the surrounding area. We spent the first day doing some of the touristy spots, visiting the parliament square, Gandan Monestry and the Zaisan Monument. I also showed Dad around my flat and VSO, so he had a little taste of what my daily life in Mongolia is like. The next day we went to the countryside and climped a mountain. This was great, as it gave us the chance to have a proper catch up. However, by far the highlight of his trip was a visit to colleague’s house. My father and I had been invited to visit one of my colleagues, but little did I know that a local shaman would also be in attendance! We both had a real shock, as the shaman proceeded to bless us with various implements (including the paw of a tiger, the foot of a bear and a hot clothes iron!). It was fascinating to experience all of this first-hand – we received so many blessings that we must be set for the rest of the year! Dad returned home safely after two and a half days in Ulaanbaatar, I think both of us will have good memories of his trip.

Goodbye Jon! – Yes, on Monday the time had come to say goodbye to my flatmate Jon. He arrived at the same time as me, but his contract was set for a shorter time. It was sad to see him go, as he’d always been a friendly face in the flat and was a good person to chat to during the long winter evenings. However, I’m sure that he’ll slot right back into his life in Canada. He’s got a career to return to, and is a very level-headed person. I wish him all the very best of luck! Now that Jon goes the flat will be a little bit quieter, although a new volunteer should be coming to temporarily use his room shortly. Jon’s departure is a reminder that I’ve only got 2 and a bit months left – I’ve got to use them wisely!

Recent news – Food price rises are currently hitting the population hard, with the price of rice and flour doubling in recent months. This is seen as a real problem for people. At least it is not happening in the winter, when money is stretched further by having to pay for fuel costs. I hope that the prices will drop down again soon, but I don’t think that’s likely…

Cultural observances - There is what some people call a “social crisis” in Mongolia, as the traditional role played by men and women has changed dramatically in recent years. After the fall of communism times were very tough for families, so parents often had to take their sons out of school and put them to work with their livestock. However, it was thought that girls needed an education to survive in the future, so they were pushed into university. The result – women are generally well educated and have good jobs, whilst many men are struggling and are unemployed. Most sectors of employment have high female representation, with the notable exception of politics (only 3 of Mongolia’s 67 MPs are female).

Mongolians tend to get married early, with the average age (from what I can tell) being about 20 for women and 23 for men. When people ask me my age and I say “I’m 25”, they immediately follow this question up by asking whether I am married and have any children. I find this a bit strange, as no one asks me that in the UK! Unfortunately early divorce is common, and there are many single mothers. Some people link this to the divide between men and women (women are increasingly the bread winners, and are often the more educated of the two). Others say that domestic violence and alcoholism are big factors. Seeing a drunken person sleeping/unconscious on the street is a daily occurrence.

On a more light-hearted note, a friend of mine recently mentioned that it is quite common for young children to drink their mother’s urine when they are sick. Not sure about that one myself, but Mongolian children seem healthy enough!

No comments: