Sunday 6 April 2008

The end of the line...

In the literal sense anyway! Last week I had a trip to Sukhbaatar City, the northern most city on the Mongolian railway. It's a largish city of about 20,000 people, and is 15 kilometres away from the Russian border. I was on a mission to scout out a project that VSO may work with in the future. Sukhbaatar is host to a farming cooperative run by volunteers. The volunteers help the local residents grow vegetables and breed animals as a way of supplementing their income.

This type of initiative is desperately needed in the city, as 50% of the population are unemployed. Going somewhere with a 50% unemployment rate is pretty interesting in its own right, but consider this - 20 years ago, under communism, the city had full employment. Needless to say, the local residents all fondly remember the "good old days", and are finding life in the new capitalist world tough to deal with. Some people have of course done well for themselves, but the fact that their wealth is visible to the rest of the city somehow makes the situation that much harder to bear.

Signs of the past glory of Sukhbaatar are there for all to see. The three (now disused) factories dominate the skyline, and many shops are now boarded-up. In such an atmosphere, it's no surprise that most young people want to leave for Ulaanbaatar as soon as they can. However, whilst I'm painting a picture of doom and gloom, the locals were all very friendly and proud of their city. As usual, Mongolian hospitality came to the fore, and I was force-fed buuz (meat dumplings) until I could eat no more! I cannot forget the surrounding countryside too - it was stunning. A short drive from the city takes you to areas of mountains and lakes, areas which mankind has not altered.

Back in Ulaanbaatar: I've just had a long working week (hence the delay in posting my blog entry - sorry!), so am looking forward to having a break soon. Whilst I was working this Saturday I found time in the evening to go to the Nomin Theatre to see a production of "The Blithe Spirit", performed by the local expat community. Our very own VSO volunteer Sophie was one of the main stars, so it was great to see her perform.

I hope you are all well. Lots of love to all of you, take care of yourselves,

Robert

1 comment:

Ossie said...

Hi Rob

Sounds like you're well.

Just read your blog about the 50% unemployment city. Life must be hard for them there but the countryside "untouched by mankind" sounds awesome!

Did you ever get the snail mail that I sent you? It was a small letter to reply to the birthday card that you sent to me. Hope so...

I've just finished a huge assignment for my teacher training course and have a bit of time to myself. Fr Bill mentioned you at Mass on Sunday and talked about our glittering alumni briefly!!!

Will try to keep update to with your blogs but find it hard with so much work on. Feel guilty even ringing Nic sometimes!!! Mad!

I have a job interview also for a post at a Catholic School here in good ol Bath. Getting really neervous about it. Bin asked to teach a lesson (35 mins) and give an assembly (15 mins). Then there's the interview itsself of course. They want an RE co-ordinater! Quite a task at an Catholic School.

Well got another huge essay and lesson planning to be getting along with.

Take care and all the very best sir


Tom