Wednesday 30 April 2008

Goodbye Tolgoit NGO!

My three-week stint at Tolgoit NGO is nearly at an end, but what have I been up to? Well, part of my time has been spent doing training sessions for the organisation’s volunteers. We’ve also done some work on creating a volunteer operational manual – a list of procedures that the organisation should follow when recruiting and using volunteers. In addition, I’ve done regular English classes for the staff. This has been an enjoyable new adventure for me. I don’t know if I’d want to do it full-time, but the interaction in the classroom, and the progress that the participants have made is great.

Tolgoit itself is an interesting district, a lot more basic than the centre of Ulaanbaatar. 90% of the people live in ger tent houses, and many people have to survive on low incomes. The result – some people are still using horse and cart to transport things around the place. The staff that I work with are really kind, and always have smiles on their faces. None of them speak good English, so I’ve been having to put my Mongolian to the test! I must admit it’ll be sad to leave… However, I won’t miss the 50 minute bus ride every morning!

Sandstorms! – The weather is crazy at the moment! Whilst things are a lot warmer, the day can fluctuate between snow and intense sun in a few hours! Mongolians say that in Springtime it’s possible to see all 4 seasons in one day, and I have to say that I agree with this analysis. Perhaps the strangest (and uncomfortable) thing to deal with are the Springtime sandstorms. Very strong winds strike without warning, spreading dust at high speeds down the city’s streets. The problem is compounded by the fact that Ulaanbaatar doesn’t have much vegetation – dust collects and is not trapped by grass. The result is quite dramatic. I’ve seen cartoon style mini-whirlwinds of dust pass me by on the street, blowing peoples hats of if their unlucky to be caught up in them! Rob’s top tip: keep sunglasses handy, as they provide eyes with a useful protection from the gusts of dust.

Lots of love to you all, take care,

Robert

No comments: